Monday, October 31, 2011

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I've decided to begin including one of my other passions into this blog: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I also train boxing on the side, but my BJJ is where my heart is.

Recognizing how impactful a tool writing can be to learning and progression, I'm going to begin adding my insights to the sport's evolution. I probably won't talk much about technique and moves (youtube videos will always be better than print for that) but more about the culture, mindset, progression, and strategies.

My second BJJ tournament was a couple weekends ago: I went 7-3, placed 2nd in my weight class twice, and took 3rd for absolute no-gi.

Notes from that tournament: eat more in the morning. Bring more Gatorade. Bring a coach! Understand the rules better. Work on guillotines, work on side control escapes. It's better to have energy against bigger guys than be tired against smaller guys. Take body fat from 11% to 7%. Cardio is everything! Work on armbars from guard. Work on stand up (esp darce and guillotine).

Next tournament is Dec 10th, and I need to drop to 200 lbs. I'm walking around at about 208 right now...let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment